Grammar issues Asian learners often struggle with
Here is a list of issues that seem to persist among Asian students. This list is the result of classroom interaction with students from Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing and other cities in China; also, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and Thailand.
If you see in the examples below mistakes you have made or still make, then maybe it's worth reading through. This blog will be looking at those and other grammar issues, offering examples, tips and explanations.
subject – verb agreement
He have to work from 9.00 to 5.00 like everyone else. Wrong
He has to work from 9.00 to 5.00 like everyone else. Right
gerunds/infinitives
I went to watching a movie last night. Wrong
I went to watch a movie last night. Right
singular/plural nouns
There were many shop and restaurant. Wrong
There were many shops and restaurants. Right
tenses
Last week I visit a really nice museum. Wrong
Last week I visited a really nice museum. Right
parts of speech
Technology has made our lives more convenience. Wrong
Technology has made our lives more convenient. Right
modal verbs (can, could, will, would, may, might, shall, should, must, ought to)
When I was young, I would swimming a lot. Wrong
When I was young, I would swim a lot. Right
forming questions
Do you happy? Wrong
Are you happy? Right
Are you like chocolate? Wrong
Do you like chocolate? Right
be + adjective
I sorry about yesterday. Wrong
I am sorry about yesterday. Right
-ed and -ing adjectives
I felt so embarrassing when I forgot her name. Wrong
I felt so embarrassed when I forgot her name. Right
articles
She has the beautiful summer house in Taiwan. Wrong
She has a beautiful summer house in Taiwan. Right
countable/uncountable nouns
Our teacher gave us 5 homeworks. Wrong
Our teacher gave us 5 pieces of homework. Right
quantity expressions
His wife has many money. Wrong
His wife has a lot of money. Right
comparisons
She feels more better after they moved to the countryside. Wrong
She feels better after they moved to the countryside. Right
thought groups
Last summer. I went to Japan. Wrong
Last summer I went to Japan. Right
I just finished my breakfast and the weather is nice. Wrong
I just finished my breakfast. As the weather is nice, I'll walk to school. Right
language transfer
Even though my grammar is good, but my speaking is weak. Wrong
Even though my grammar is good, my speaking is weak. Right
linkers
It was raining, so that I stayed home. Wrong
It was raining, so I stayed home. Right
Compare: As it was raining, I took an umbrella so that I wouldn't get wet (= in order not to get wet).
passive voice – active voice
I was returned home late last night. Wrong
I returned home late last night. Right
I born 20 years ago. Wrong
I was born 20 years ago. Right
prepositions
You shouldn't shout to children. Wrong
You shouldn't shout at children. Right
relative clauses
The boy which you just saw is my friend. Wrong
The boy who/that you just saw is my friend. Right
The boy who/that you just saw is my friend. Right
there is / there are
There has a problem with the report. Wrong
There is a problem with the report. Right
verb patterns
Do you mind to open the window? Wrong
Do you mind opening the window? Right
Looking forward to more articles from you!
ReplyDeleteHi, Chris! Yup, will do! And I hope you will not hesitate to ask any questions you might have about grammar :)
ReplyDeleteI received a little book named ‘Phrasal Verbs and how to get along with them’ when I signed up for a course at HKU Space today : )
ReplyDelete