Tuesday, 10 January 2023

 I born in Hong Kong.


Several of my HK students wouldn't see anything wrong with that sentence. It took me myself several years to understand why such an obvious mistake was so persistent among so many people. 

To begin with, I knew that Asian learners often drop the verb "be" when using adjectives. So, I thought, if my students consider "born" an adjective that would explain it. The same way they say "I happy" or "He angry" or "Sorry I absent" (all of which are wrong).

But I also came to realise that actually some students believe that "born" is the infinitive or else the verb in the active voice. As in "I born, you born, he borns etc." 

That is wrong. The active verb is "bear" and the form "born" is the passive voice. To bear a child means you are (going to be) a mother. To be born means your mother gave birth to you. 

Another example of how students mistake "born" for an infinitive is how they form questions with it: "Where do you born?" they will often ask. 

The only possible structure is: be + born

I was born in 1987. 

She was born in Canada. 

Where were you born?


No comments:

Post a Comment